Saturday, September 27, 2008

Discipline

Everyone says children change your views on your relationship with God. So true. Dawson is now about 15 months beginning to need to be disciplined. It is hard to say the least, but I know it is necessary for his own growth.

I think this is probably how God feels. He knows what is best for us and has to sometimes give us the not so subtle pat on the rear to remind us. God has been making his hand sore on me lately and it is not pleasant. I am thankful however, that my God is patient and willing to stick with me. I am sure He gets tired of saying no, but He still loves me enough to let me mess up, pay the price, learn, and move on.

I pray I have that same love and patience for my son.




Hebrews 12: 7-11


7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8 If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10 Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Job 36: 10-11

10 He makes them listen to correction, and commands them to repent of their evil.
11 If they obey and serve him, they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity and their years in contentment.

2 comments:

Follows Closely said...

"I pray I have that same love and patience for my son."

Amen

Matthew L. Wilson said...

Back when I was leading a small group we did the DVD series: Effective Parenting in a Defective World. It was very good, especially the explication of the differences between punishment and discipline.